Friday, August 26, 2011

The 2nd Born

This post is dedicated to Jesikah! Who convinced me to go ahead and write about all that stuff I've been leaving untyped, due to the challenges of raising two young children, with the oldest seeming to dominate my blog time. To be honest, I felt like most everyone has seen and read everything I could post about River's daily activities. They aren't much different than you all read about with Maggie. BUT, I've got the pictures, so I'll share...hope it's not too repetitive!

As River approaches 3 months of age he is a very social little being. His social smiles are constant, and he "talks" to us all the time! He is certainly developing a bit of a preference for Mommy. He almost gets frantic when others hold him (sorry about that by the way). Really though, Mommies offer a sense of safety, security and comfort that can't really be matched by others. Especially breastfed babies---they know our smells, they know our touch, they know we provide nourishment. It makes sense.

THE FIRST IMPORTANT TOY
Mommy, Daddy and Sissy's faces, which can elicit this beautiful little smile almost instantly!

HORIZONTAL TIME WITH A SCARF
If there is any parenting approach I would say my views are most aligned with I would say that Magda Gerber's RIE approach would be it, with a few exceptions. I would recommend any book by Magda Gerber for any new parents!
Magda recommends scarves as the first simple toy for infants. River loves to grasp his, and it already seems to be developing into a bit of a "lovey" for him.

Working those important muscles!

So I'm not a fan of "baby containers" (I know, the baby container blah, blah, blah once again!). Babies are meant to be horizontal until they move themselves to an upright position. My children's first play space has been a slick surface. Vinyl is often recommended, but if you are a freak about plastics, such as I am, you can opt for a safer alternative, such as marmoleum! Simple surfaces without much visual detail is best. This early play is meant to help an infant organize all that sensory information and start responding in a controlled way. When there is too much visual detail the brain's visual cortex takes over and it's difficult for a baby to respond to much else in an organized way.


BREASTFEEDING!
Sometimes you feel like it's all you do; all day! I'm enjoying that I'm not planning on any major separations that will require a lot of pumping this time though! Maggie took this picture of River and I in the car after River's quick snack!

ALL GREASED UP!
Yep, I'm covering my 2nd born in oil and letting him slither all around on a slick surface, just like I did to the first born. He is working on all those important skills that will eventually allow him to roll, crawl, cruise then walk! I usually start with some infant massage, and then follow with some tummy time, this way we get a double use out of all that olive oil!

Pre-Crawling Positions

Soothing Touch

Well, so that's a bit of what we've been up to, along with all the other craziness you've read about on Magnolia's blog! I have a feeling things are going to get EXXTRAA crazy for us here very soon, so I'll apologize now for any lack of posts! It's my goal to at least get some detailed tidbits down each month for River, so keep checking back!

1 comment:

  1. I just couldn't stop laughing when I say the first sentense of the post. I guess I tugged at your heart a bit. :) Just try to have at least one posting a month that really talks about what he has been doing. That is what has helped me. I usually have to go back to the previous months posting to see what I wrote so I can remember what has changed. Good luck. While like is a bit busier now it is SOOO much more fun.

    ReplyDelete