Thursday, May 17, 2012

Intolerance Update

I realized it's been quite awhile since I've shared an update on the status of River's milk/soy protein intolerance. Here it is, in a nutshell...
About a month ago I reintroduced, just with some soy lecithin in waffles. Many children with MSPI do fine with soy lecithin, even Maggie did okay with it around a year old, River however cried all night in pain, and passed mucousy stools over and over again the next day....reintroduction...FAILED!

So what does this mean?

Well, to outgrow an intolerance you simply
HAVE TO COMPLETELY AVOID THE FOOD YOU ARE INTOLERANT TO,
so we will continue on our soy/dairy free diet. I say "we" because yes, I will continue to breastfeed River until

1.) he is ready to transition to a milk option that has enough fat and nutrients for healthy brain development (you cannot top breast milk, it's undisputedly the healthiest option for any baby, intolerant or not)

and

2.) until it's the right time for me or him to wean

River's physician has recommended that we reintroduce (through breast milk, my diet that is) at around 14-16 months. Again, most children outgrow the intolerance by age 3. Magnolia outgrew it by two, we were lucky, but broke after paying for hypo-allergenic formula (Neocate) for the six months after I stopped breastfeeding Maggie.

We appreciate continued support, and of course patience with our annoying food restrictions.
See this sweet face...
this is why I do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment