Friday, September 7, 2012

Changes

After just a few weeks of complete chaos trying to organize our schedule to include preschool, meals, work, graduate school, napping, etc., all at about the same time, we've finally accepted that we need a little change, a transition if you will. 
So far, for over a year now, I've been fitting in my course work, and work on my thesis into the evening hours between when River falls asleep and when he wakes up (which is always a gamble with the continued inconsistency of his sleep). 
To help ease this chaos we decided River and I were ready for the big "S" word---separation.
Ideally, someone to watch River a few mornings a week so I could take Maggie to preschool and stay on campus for a few hours until I have class. Just about 9 hours a week...I keep telling myself...

 We should be finalizing plans on this next week...more to come then!

Today we had River's 12-month well-baby check-up (yes, we are consistently about 2-3 months behind schedule), and we have a confirmation after examination of River's scabbed over hand and feet sores that he did indeed have the hand, foot and mouth virus. I think we faired pretty well through it! River with mild fever, cold-like symptoms and sores on hands and feet, and Maggie with sore throat and a high fever. It really wasn't as bad as the horror stories some families have shared with me. We were pretty lucky.

River gained some weight, but is now at the 5%ile for weight, 10%ile for head circumference, and 50%ile for height. As Dr. Gordon shared concerns such as food aversion, sensory sensitivities, even throwing out "failing to thrive," I had to be firm in saying "no"...if there was food aversion or sensory concerns he would have been receiving intervention, trust me. I have some amazing early intervention friends, and I'm not afraid to drive all the way to Boise for their help. 
Really what we have is a busy little boy who is exploring every which way his body can move, even during mealtimes. He's on a bit of a food jag, and yes, he probably needs more fat in his diet. So bring on even more avocados, lots and lots of olive oil, and lots of coconut milk smoothies!

We have another weight check in one month to see if we can fatten the boy up a bit more...any dairy/soy free suggestions are welcome!

I couldn't leave you without a few glimpses into the life of this changing little boy....
growing so big, way too fast.

Here he explores our "new" fairy forest with Sissy.
Enjoy.




1 comment:

  1. hmm...how strange it is our children's similarities...i swear if owen slowed for just a moment he would stop "failing to thrive"...:)

    ReplyDelete